Re: Google SoC--Idea Request

От Mark Wong
Тема Re: Google SoC--Idea Request
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 4/18/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:

>>> I second this. :)  There are also the TPC-App (Java) fair-use
>>> implementation that I've started and the TPC-E (next gen OLTP) that I
>>> would like to start.
>> Maybe before starting on TPC-E it makes sense to try and get a common
>> framework for all the different tests built? AFAIK most of the
>> benchmarks all use a fairly standard client-server infrastructure, so we
>> should hopefully be able to share that between the different tests...
>
> I agree with Jim.  A framework would really help out here.  All of the
> tests are basically the same and would benefit from a framework.

This has crossed my mind before.  I haven't been able to come up with
something that I've felt good about on my own though.

> However, Mark, do you think Java is a reliable benchmarking platform?
> At EnterpriseDB, we've tried several Java benchmarks and could never
> get as repeatable or reliable of a benchmark as DBT2 gives you.

I don't have much experience here yet.  I've only got a portion of the
TPC-App implemented, although probably enough now to see how repeatable
it is thus far.  Do you want to give my DBT4 kit a shot? :)  I'm curious
to what platforms you've tried Java on as I've heard the Linux
implementations aren't as good as their Windows counterparts.  I'm not
sure how true that is today though.

Mark