Re: Off-Topic: DBMS Market Research

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: Off-Topic: DBMS Market Research
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Renato Cramer wrote:
> Can someone where I can found DBMS Market Researches?
> What institutes publish reliable researchs? Gartner, IDC?

Note it's hard for any company to provide reliable research
that spans both open-source and non-open-source products.

For example, one company I'm familiar with sells a
specialized storage appliance that contains postgresql
inside, but doesn't tell anyone it's there.   Neither
Gartner nor IDC nor any other market research group
would count it correctly.

The best analogy I've heard is market research of
breathable gases.   Any market research company
would happily conclude that that Tobacco
Smoke is a far more desirable breathable substance
than air.   Just look at the revenue numbers:
    Cigarettes - $48.7 billion in 1997
    Cigars     - $ 0.9 billion in 1997
    Fresh Air  - $ 0.0 billion in 1997
So the obvious conclusion is that if you're a business
the revenue figures obviously show that best
practices in the industry is to use smoke.

Absurd, yes; but it seems that's how most corporations
pick their databases and operating systems.