Re: Get explain output of postgresql in Tables

От Mischa Sandberg
Тема Re: Get explain output of postgresql in Tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>I wonder if it would help much just to change EXPLAIN to indent with
>>something other than spaces?
>
> I like that. Maybe even decrease the indenting a little more, and compress
> some of the inner whitespace (such as the 2 spaces after the operator name)

Might it be worth checking how many people (and apps) use EXPLAIN output to
drive apps? Our (web) reporting has a paging system for long reports, that
depends on getting the row/cost estimate from "EXPLAIN somequery" before
actually executing "somequery". (Yep, we have pg_autovacuum run ANALYZE a lot :-)

Anybody else out there using explain output in an automated way?

--
Engineers think that equations approximate reality.
Physicists think that reality approximates the equations.