Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.

От Gavin Hamill
Тема Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Simon Riggs wrote:

> pSeries cache lines are 128 bytes wide, so I'd go straight to 128.

Hello :)

OK, that line of code is:

#define LWLOCK_PADDED_SIZE      (sizeof(LWLock) <= 16 ? 16 : 32)

What should I change this to? I don't understand the syntax of the <= 16
? : stuff...

would a simple  "#define LWLOCK_PADDED_SIZE  128" be sufficient?

>If you're renting all 8 CPUs, I'd drop to 4 and try that instead. With 8
>CPUs the contention will vary according to what each CPU is doing at any
>one time - when they all hit the contention spot, things will get worse.

We have a physical machine installed in our rack at the data centre,
rather than renting a virtual partition of a real machine... I'm not
sure how to enable/disable CPUs even with the help of 'smitty' :)

>The pSeries has good CPUs and great caching, so I'd expect contention to
>be somewhat more apparent as a bottleneck.

Yep, I expected 32MB of 'L3' cache would yield impressive results :)

Cheers,
Gavin.

От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.
От: Ragnar
Сообщение: Re: