Re: Remote PL/Java, Summary

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Remote PL/Java, Summary
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Hi all,
> And thanks for very good input regarding a remote alternative to
> PL/Java (thread titled "Shared Memory"). I'm convinced that such an
> alternative would be a great addition to PL/Java and increase the
> number of users. The work to create such a platform that has the
> stability and quality of todays PL/Java is significant (I really do
> think it is a production-grade product today). So significant in fact,
> that I'm beginning to think of a third alternative. An alternative
> that would combine the performance of using in-process calls with the
> benefits of sharing a JVM. The answer is of course to make the backend
> multi-threaded.
>
> This question has been debated before and always promptly rejected.
> One major reason is of course that it will not bring any benefits over
> the current multi-process approach on a majority of the platforms
> where PostgreSQL is used. A process-switch is just as fast as a
> thread-switch on Linux based systems. Over the last year however,
> something has happen that certainly speaks in the favor of
> multi-threading. PostgreSQL is getting widely adopted on Windows. On
> Windows, a process-switch is at least 5 times more expensive then a
> thread-switch. In order to appropriate locking, PostgreSQL is forced
> to do a fair amount of switching during transaction processing so the
> gain in using a multi-threaded approach on Windows is probably
> significant. The same is true for other OS'es where process-switching
> is relatively expensive.
>
> There are other benefits as well. PostgreSQL would no longer need
> shared memory and semaphores and lot more resources could be shared
> between backend processes. The one major drawback of a multi-threaded
> approach (the one that's been the main argument for the defenders of
> the current approach) is vulnerability. If one thread is messing
> things up, then the whole system will be brought to a halt (on the
> other hand, that can be said about the current shared-memory approach
> as well). The cure for this is to have a system that, to the extent
> possible, prevents this from happening. How would that be possible?
> Well, such systems are widely used today. Huge companies use them in
> mission critical applications all over the world. They are called
> Virtual Machines. Two types in particular are gaining more an more
> ground. The .NET based CLR and the Java VM.
>
> Although there's an Open Source initiative called Mono that implements
> the CLR, I still don't see it as a viable alternative to create a
> production-grade multi-platform database. Microsofts CLR is of course
> confined to Microsoft platforms. The Java VM's are however a different
> matter altogether. And with the java.nio.channels package that was
> introduced in Java 1.4 and the java.util.concurrent package from Java
> 5.0, Java has taken a major steps forward in being a very feasible
> [...]

We already do use threads on Windows to a limited extent to do things
like timers and pseudo-signal handling.

If this were a greenfields project then your arguments would have force.
But for how long would you like to suspend Postgres development activity
while we re-implement everything in Java? Not to mention the effort to
recruit new developers to replace those who leave because they can't or
don't want to be part of the effort.

For better or worse, PostgreSQL is written in C, and I can't see that
changing.

It might be interesting to take a frozen code base for PostgreSQL and
reimplement it in Java, and then run some comparisons, both for
performance and crash stability. I just counted roughly 100k lines of
source code, so a reimplementation effort would be distinctly non-trivial.

cheers

andrew