Re: Implementation Suggestions

От Kenneth Downs
Тема Re: Implementation Suggestions
Дата
Re: Implementation Suggestions  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
Re: Implementation Suggestions  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Ian Harding wrote:

I am fascinated by your post.  I have never heard a bad thing said about RoR.

I have been meaning to investigate it because it is the only system I've heard of that makes the same claim that I do, which is to have eliminated entire categories of labor through automation.

Except that I built mine on a database foundation.  Systematize and automate database handling and UI creation should follow.  I did not know that RoR was so cavalier w/respect to the database, is that really true?  Is it really just yet-another-UI system?

IMHO the problem with all blink-of-an-eye dev tools is that they are not built on a foundation of solid database design, but now we're drifting OT....
I'm wondering if I could get some suggestions as to how implement
this quickly and simply? I was thinking a web interface using PHP
would be the fastest way of going about it.
If you used Ruby on Rails, you'd be finished by now.  It slices, it
dices, it makes julienne fries.

Seriously, it's not too bad if you don't mind it's plentiful
shortcomings.  I was getting carpal tunnel syndrome from typing
<scripting language> pages so I switched to RoR for a hobby app.  It
works fine, but you have to do it "The Rails Way" and expect no help
from the "Community" because they are a fanboi cheerleader squad, not
interested in silly stuff like referential integrity, functions,
triggers, etc.  All that nonsense belongs in the application!

Check this out, there is no stale connection detection or handling in
rails.  I'm not kidding.  If you connection drops out, restart your
web server.  Sorry.  Blah.

Anyway, besides its warts, it is dead easy to use, and does make
putting together web applications in a "green field" scenario quite
painless.  Just don't try to do anything outside the box like trying
to access an existing database that uses RDBMS features heavily and
uses normal object naming.

- Ian

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Вложения