Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 02:14:00PM +0200, Greg Quinn wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just installed PostGreSql 8.1 on my Windows XP PC. I created a
>> simple table called users with 4 varchar fields.
>>
>> I am using the OleDb connection driver. In my .NET application, I populate
>> 3000 records into the table to test PostGreSql's speed. It takes about 3-4
>> seconds.
>>
>> Even worse is displaying the 3000 records in a ListView control. It takes
>> about 7 seconds. In MySQL, the exact same table and application displays
>> the same 3000 records in under 1/2 second!!!
>
> Have you vacuumed recently? This smells like it might be a table bloat
> problem.

This could be a lot of things...

He is probably running the default postgresql.conf which is going to
perform horribly.

What is your work_mem? shared_buffers?

Are you passing a where clause? If so is there an index on the field
that is subject to the clause?

When you do the population, is it via inserts or copy?

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/