Re: Shared memory

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: Shared memory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Hallgren <thomas@tada.se> writes:
>
>> This FENCED/NOT FENCED terminology would be a good way to
>> differentiate between the two approaches. Any chance of that syntax
>> making it into the PostgreSQL grammar, should the need arise?
>>

> Of what value would it be to have it in the grammar?  The behavior would
> be entirely internal to any particular PL in any case.

Not necessarily but perhaps the term FENCED is incorrect for the concept
that I have in mind.

All languages that are implemented using a VM could benefit from the
same remote UDF protocol. Java, C#, perhaps even Perl or Ruby. The flag
that I'd like to have would control 'in-process' versus 'remote'.

I'm not too keen on the term FENCED, since it, in the PL/Java case will
lead to poorer isolation. Multiple threads running in the same JVM will
be able to share data and a JVM crash will affect all connected sessions.

Then again, perhaps it's a bad idea to have this in the function
declaration in the first place. A custom GUC parameter might be a better
choice. It will not be possible to have some functions use the
in-process approach and others to execute remotely but I doubt that will
matter that much.

I'm still eager to hear what it is in the current PL/Java that you
consider fundamental unresolvable problems.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Why are default encoding conversions
От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: Shared memory