Re: Worthwhile optimisation of position()?

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: Worthwhile optimisation of position()?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Tim Allen <tim@proximity.com.au> writes:
>
>> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>>
>>> The position function must look for 'ch' everywhere in the string so
>>> there's no way it can use an index.
>>>

>> I think the '= 0' bit is what Chris was suggesting could be the basis
>> for an optimisation.
>>

> Yeah.  AFAICS the transformation Chris suggested is valid.  I'm really
> dubious that it's worth expending planner cycles to look for it though.
> LIKE is something that everybody and his brother uses, but who uses this
> position()=0 locution?
>
>             regards, tom lane

The documentation says: position('om' in 'Thomas') == 3 so i assumed
that the returned index was 1-based and that a zero meant 'not found'.
If I'm wrong ,perhaps the docs need to be updated?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Worthwhile optimisation of position()?
От: Christopher Kings-Lynne
Сообщение: Re: Worthwhile optimisation of position()?