Re: version problem with pg_dump

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: version problem with pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>>My quick-n-dirty "fix" is to make symbolic links in /usr/bin for all pg
>>programs:

But, as I noted, only after you are sure you have removed all vestiges
of the old version. The symbolic links are just a convenience.

> The *right* solution if you're using an RPM-based Linux distro is to
> grab an RPM distribution of Postgres; trying to make end runs around RPM
> is a great way to turn your system into a hopeless mess.

You sure can turn a system into a hopeless mess but I don't agree that I
would only use RPM to install PG - that depends on the situation.

In my case the distros may use RPM as the package manager and RPM is
fine for the base configuration but I am starting with the bare minimum
default installation, hardening/stripping that down some more and then
compiling PG from source. The server has one purpose - running
PostgreSQL as a stand-alone server for clients on the network. Because
of this there are no PG dependent packages installed to start with.

PG is critical to our business and I find that compiling from source
gives me the ability to deploy updates more quickly if necessary and to
customize the options I use to build PG where necessary.

Cheers,
Steve