Re: how to update structural & data changes between PostgreSQL

От Jeff Amiel
Тема Re: how to update structural & data changes between PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
We have a fairly 'good' process at our shop that we follow that works
for us....

First we do a schema comparison between our prod and devl/test
environments using the EMS PostgreSQL database comparer tool...
We extract the DDL changes that it produces ("alter table add column,
etc") and place in a single script file.
We then add/subtract elements from the script as necessary based on our
knowledge of how our test environment differs from our prod one
We have a piece of code that enumerates each table and denotes what
permissions SQL to apply.  We update this code to add all new tables
(from the EMS compare)....
The code will produce the appropriate DDL for us (GRANT blah on blah)
and we then add it to our 'script'
We have some tables that we completely drop from production and reload
from the devl/test environment.  In those cases we simply add the
appropriate commands to the script (drop table blah, insert into table
values(blah,blah, etc)
For piecemeal data that needs to make it's way from test to prod, we
dump (extract) those records as insert statements and add those to the
script.
When it's all said and done, we place a begin work at the top and run it
against the production database.
We find errors/issues and adjust the script accordingly (rolling back
each time).....when done we run it one last time and do the commit;