Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>Adding -hackers.

[removing -buildfarm :-) ]

>Ok, lets go back to my original point then: initdb should be made to
>check that you can actually open as many connections as it's trying to
>set max_connections to. If it can't, it should drop max_connections down
>(and possibly add a note to postgresql.conf indicating that it did so).

At the time it sets max_connections there is no server to test against.
initdb in fact never uses a standard client connection at all, and never
starts postmaster. To do a check on max_connections you would have to
start postmaster and then try to start that many client connections.
That's a lot of extra lifting to put into initdb for what is arguably at
worst a rare problem.

cheers

andrew