Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP

От Sven Geisler
Тема Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Guillaume,

Guillaume Smet schrieb:

> The server is a dell 6650 from end of 2004 with 4 xeon mp 2.2 and 2MB
> cache per proc.
>
> Here are the information from Dell:
> 4x PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.2GHZ, 2MB cache, 400Mhz, SOCKET F
> 8x DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512MB, 266MHz

>> You should provide details from the XEON DP?
>
> The only problem is that the Xeon DP is installed with a 2.6 kernel
> and a postgresql 8.1.3 (it is used to test the migration from 7.4 to
> 8.1.3). So it's very difficult to really compare the two behaviours.
>
> It's a Dell 2850 with:
> 2 x PROCESSOR, 80546K, 2.8G, 1MB cache, XEON NOCONA, 800MHz
> 4 x DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1GB, 400MHz

Did you compare 7.4 on a 4-way with 8.1 on a 2-way?
How many queries and clients did you use to test the performance?
How much faster is the XEON DP?

I think, you can expect that your XEON DP is faster on a single query
because CPU and RAM are faster. The overall performance can be better on
your XEON DP if you only have a few clients.

I guess, the newer hardware and the newer PostgreSQL version cause the
better performance.

Regards
Sven.