Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP

От Sven Geisler
Тема Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Guillaume,

I had a similar issue last summer. Could you please provide details
about your XEON MP server and some statistics (context-switches/load/CPU
usage)?

I tried different servers (x86) with different results. I saw a
difference between XEON MP w/ and w/o EMT64. The memory bandwidth makes
also a difference.

What version of XEON MP does your server have?
Which type of RAM does you server have?
Do you use Hyperthreading?

You should provide details from the XEON DP?

Regards
Sven.

Guillaume Smet schrieb:
> Richard,
>
>> You should be seeing context-switching jump dramatically if it's the
>> "classic" multi-Xeon problem. There's a point at which it seems to just
>> escalate without a corresponding jump in activity.
>
> No we don't have this problem of very high context switching in our
> case even when the database is very slow. When I mean very slow, we
> have pages which loads in a few seconds in the normal case (load
> between 3 and 4) which takes several minutes (up to 5-10 minutes) to
> be generated in the worst case (load at 4 but really bad
> performances).
> If I take a look on our cpu load graph, in one year, the cpu load was
> never higher than 5 even in the worst cases...
>
>> I checked with Tom last week. Thread starts below:
>>    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-02/msg01118.php
>>
>> He's of the opinion that 8.1.3 will be an improvement.
>
> Thanks for pointing me this thread, I searched in -performance not in
> -hackers as the original thread was in -performance. We planned a
> migration to 8.1.3 so we'll see what happen with this version.
>
> Do you plan to test it before next tuesday? If so, I'm interested in
> your results. I'll post our results here as soon as we complete the
> upgrade.
>
> --
> Guillaume

/This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not
copy it, re-transmit it, use it or disclose its contents, but should
return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation./

Sven Geisler <sgeisler@aeccom.com> Tel +49.30.5362.1627 Fax .1638
Senior Developer,    AEC/communications GmbH    Berlin,   Germany