Re: Baffled by failure to use index when WHERE uses a function

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Baffled by failure to use index when WHERE uses a function
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Clive Page wrote:
> I have a table cov3 of about 3 million rows, with a B-tree index on an
> integer column called hpix.  If I do a simple select on this column it
> works in milliseconds, using the index naturally:
>
> select * from cov3 where hpixint = 482787587;
>    hpix    |  expos  |  hpixint
> -----------+---------+-----------
>  482787587 | 30529.6 | 482787587
> (1 row)

This doesn't show any index being used. EXPLAIN ANALYSE would have.

> The problem is that I want to use a user-defined function called healpix
> which returns a single integer value in my queries; the function details
> are unlikely to be relevant (it selects a pixel from a celestial
> position), but its definition is:
>
>  \df healpix
>                             List of functions
>  Schema |  Name   | Result data type |        Argument data types
> --------+---------+------------------+------------------------------------
>  public | healpix | integer          | double precision, double precision

> select * from cov3 where hpix = healpix(2.85,-11.48);
>
> but it takes ages.  An EXPLAIN shows why, it insists upon a sequential
> scan:
>
> explain select * from cov3 where hpix = healpix(2.85,-11.48);
>                                       QUERY PLAN
>
>  Seq Scan on cov3  (cost=0.00..93046.81 rows=1 width=20)
>    Filter: (hpix = (healpix(2.85::double precision, -11.48::double
> precision))::text)
>
> Does anyone have any idea why, or know how I can restore adequate
> performance?

Do you understand the difference between the IMMUTABLE,STABLE,VOLATILE
attributes for functions and what the difference between them is?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-createfunction.html

However, in the example above the real problem is that the query using
an index tests against "hpixint" whereas your function compares against
"hpix". Make sure you're testing against the same column, then post back.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd