Re: problem with large maintenance_work_mem settings and

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: problem with large maintenance_work_mem settings and
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>
>>samples  %        symbol name
>>103520432 47.9018  inlineApplySortFunction
>>33382738 15.4471  comparetup_index
>>25296438 11.7054  tuplesort_heap_siftup
>>10089122  4.6685  btint4cmp
>>8395676   3.8849  LogicalTapeRead
>>2873556   1.3297  tuplesort_heap_insert
>>2796545   1.2940  tuplesort_gettuple_common
>>2752345   1.2736  AllocSetFree
>>2233889   1.0337  IndexBuildHeapScan
>

> Interesting.  What's the platform, and what compiler exactly?  For me,
> gcc seems to inline inlineApplySortFunction successfully, but your
> compiler evidently is not doing that.

Debian Sarge/AMD64 with gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13) running on
a Dual AMD Opteron 280 (so 4 cores @2,4GHz) with 16GB of RAM and a very
recent Kernel.
Debian has gcc 3.4 as an optional package in Sarge too so I certainly
can try that one.

[...]

> Your machine seems not to be subject to nearly the same amount of memory
> delay.  Which is interesting because most of the argument for changing
> sort algorithms seems to hinge on the assumption that main-memory delay
> is the main thing we need to worry about.  That looks to be valid on the
> Xeon I'm testing but not on your machine ...

hmm very interesting, Opterons are known for there very high memory
bandwidth and some (rather limited) testing using various benchmarktools
against a 3,2Ghz DP Xeon with 2MB L2 cache shows that the Opteron box
really has a significant advantage here ...

Stefan