Re: Building Windows Server Extensions Using VC++ 2005

От Charlie Savage
Тема Re: Building Windows Server Extensions Using VC++ 2005
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi everyone,<br /><br /> Thanks for the feedback.  The reason for building extensions with MSVC on windows is to get
accessto the Micrsoft debugging tools since as far as I can see MingW/GDB cannot debug dynamically loaded dlls on the
Windowsplatform (or at least I haven't succeeded at doing it).<br /><br /> Anyway, with the few minor tweaks mentioned
thisseems to work fine.  I guess I would be surprised if it didn't since MinGW is commonly used for both creating and
usingDLLs on the Windows platform that integrate with programs and dlls built with VC++.  Other examples that work fine
arebuilding extensions for Python and Ruby using MingW, when both runtimes are built with VC++ (so the opposite case).
Ofcourse, this compatibility might just be limited to the MinGW / VC++ combination, but that's all you need for this to
type="cite"><prewrap="">"Magnus Hagander" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
problemhere is that the backend is built with mingw but the

I don't think that it's very reasonable to expect that to work.
The two compilers very likely have different rules for struct
packing, to take just the first gotcha.  Maybe they are compatible
enough that it will work, but if it does not we cannot fix it.
        regards, tom lane

 </pre></blockquote>