Re: Using Postgresql as application server

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Using Postgresql as application server
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Aug 13, 2011, at 11:57, c k <shreeseva.learning@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Postgres users,
> from last few months I am reading and searching for can postgresql used as application server? As postgresql supports
manylanguages like pl/perl, pl/python etc, supports dblink like functions to connect to other postgresql servers and
nowfeatures are in development to use external data. Postgresql works well on many operating systems and has a stable
andgood quality code. As many users are using plpython or plperl to work on many types of data and to implement logic
thatcan be useful in web application management.
> So i am thinking if I can use postgresql as web application server.
> Few points that supports this opinion:
> 1. multiple languages support for stored procs and triggers.
> 2. can connect to other postgresql servers or databases
> 3. it is easy to manage stored procs or triggers than managing web application in other servers.
> 4. data and logic/processing can be separated. One postgresql can be used as application server and another as
database.
> 5. stable, mature and open codebase.
>
> I request to users and developers give your suggestions and opinions.
> Waiting for your replies.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Chaitanya Kulkarni

Code yourself a nice "hello world" application that can accessed by a web browser and outputs in HTML using only
PostgreSQL. IF you can actually do that simple task you will then be in a better position to decide if such an
architectureis worth expanding upon.

The better question to ask is why wouldn't you want to use something like Tomcat or Apache+Programming Language?

David J.

От: George MacKerron
Сообщение: Re: Functions returning setof record -- can I use a table type as my return type hint?
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: Functions returning setof record -- can I use a table type as my return type hint?