Re: Reliability recommendations

От Craig A. James
Тема Re: Reliability recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dell often says part X is included, but part X is not the exact same as
> part X sold by the original manufacturer.  To hit a specific price
> point, Dell is willing to strip thing out of commodity hardware, and
> often does so even when performance suffers.  For many people, this is
> unacceptable.

I find this strains credibility, that this major manufacturer of PC's would do something deceptive that hurts
performance,when it would be easily detected and widely reported.  Can anyone cite a specific instances where this has
happened? Such as, "I bought Dell model XYZ, which was advertised to have these parts and these specs, but in fact had
theseother parts and here are the actual specs."

Dell seems to take quite a beating in this forum, and I don't recall seeing any other manufacturer blasted this way.
Isit that they are deceptive, or simply that their "servers" are designed to be office servers, not database servers?

There's nothing wrong with Dell designing their servers for a different market than ours; they need to go for the
profits,and that may not include us.  But it's not fair for us to claim Dell is being deceptive unless we have concrete
evidence.

Craig

Сообщение: Re: Reliability recommendations
Сообщение: Re: Reliability recommendations