Re: PostgreSQL unit tests

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: PostgreSQL unit tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Lukas Smith wrote:

> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>
>> During Josh Berkus' presentation at the JPUG PostgreSQL Conference, I
>> was particularly struck by the fact that 8.1 had a shorter beta
>> period than previous releases, rolled out on time, and enjoyed a
>> longer period before the first post-release bug was reported. The
>> PostgreSQL Build Farm played a key role in making these possible.
>> (Thanks again, Andrew!)
>>
>> Something that has been briefly discussed in the past wrt PostgreSQL
>> has been unit testing to complement the current regression tests.
>> I've taken a very quick google to see what's out there for C unit
>> testing frameworks. The ones I found are:
>>
>> Check (GPL)
>> GNU Autounit (GPL)
>> CuTest (GPL? zlib/libpng?)
>> CUnit (GPL)
>

> I do not know the scope of current testing, but I think the testing
> should probably also including collecting and monitoring performance
> metrics. This might be a thing to keep in mind when choosing a
> particular unit testing framework.

No, performance testing should be kept separate. Unit and regression
testing are basically pass/fail tests. Performance testing is about
positions on a continuous scale. That has a major effect on the design
and use of a test harness.

I'm all in favor of a distributed performance testing regime,  but in
setting it up we need to start if not from scratch then pretty close to it.

cheers

andrew