Re: [PERFORM] What do the Windows pg hackers out there like

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: [PERFORM] What do the Windows pg hackers out there like
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> writes:
>
>>I was doing exactly this about a year ago and used Mingw. The only
>>annoyance was that I could compile everything on Linux in about 3
>>minutes (P4 2.8Ghz), but had to wait about 60-90 minutes for the same
>>thing on Windows 2003 Server! (also a P4 2.8Ghz...). So I used to build
>>a 'go for coffee' task into the build and test cycle.
>

> Youch!  That seems unbelievably bad, even for Microsloth.  Did you ever
> identify what was the bottleneck?

No - I was connecting using an RDB client from a Linux box (over a LAN),
so was never sure how much that was hurting things... but (as noted by
Magnus) the compiler itself is noticeablely slower (easily observed
during the 'configure' step).

cheers

Mark