Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 19:35 -0800, Christopher Browne wrote:
>>> We are actively looking for developers for the project. Please drop me
>>> an e-mail if you want to join this project. We will use Python, so you
>>> need to be a Python guy to join the project. We are in planning phase,
>>> if you join us earlier, we will be able to share more ideas.
>> You'd better define the purpose pretty clearly, as I don't see any
>> purpose that's of value, yet.
>
> I agree with Joshua's points here. Think of people who do not want an
> installation via command line.

Surely the only people installing from the command-line are those that
want to. There's synaptic or yum or whatever to let you search for
"postgresql" and handle all your dependencies for you.

I mean *I* compile from source when I'm testing betas or want to
backport and there's no package but I can't imagine most Ubuntu users
bother.

Now something to let you install extra modules, tune your
postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf - that's useful. If it can explain as it
goes along, all the better (like "bastille linux"?)

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd