Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Mark Woodward wrote:

>XML is not really much more than a language, it says virtually nothing
>about content. Content requires custom parsers.

Really? Strange I've been dealing with it all this time without having
to contruct a parser. What you do need is to provide event handlers to a
stream parser such as SAX, or a use an API such as DOM to insert/extract
data to/from the XML.

>While I understand the notion that we don't want to have a custom parser
>for every XML data spec, I did commit the xmldbx extension into the PHP
>extensions.
>
>MySQL has great street cred because it is very well integrated with PHP.
>This extension may appeal to PHP users and make it more enticing to
>PostgreSQL instead.

Postgres generally seems to favor extensibility over integration, and I
generally agree with that approach.

Before we even consider it I would want to see how much traction your
PHP extension gets.

Also, what are its dependencies? If it's dependent on PHP headers to
build or libraries to run that would be unfortunate - we might need to
invent some sort of configure flag to include/exclude some contrib
modules in that case.

cheers

andrew