Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:36:15AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>

>>James William Pye wrote:
>>

>>>Why should initdb give it [processing
>>>information] to the user if the user didn't request it in the first
>>>place?
>>>

>>Because it shows important information that we want the user to see.
>>

>Plus it can be a fairly long-running process on slower machines, so
>providing feedback to the user is good.

Moreover, we should not change behaviour just on aesthetic grounds. For
example, if initdb were suddenly to become quiet by default, we would
need to add some version-specific processing to the buildfarm.

As for a --quiet option, I just don't see why it is needed when >/dev/null works perfectly well.

cheers

andrew