Re: filtering after join

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: filtering after join
Дата
Список pgsql-general
andrew wrote:
> I want to use a UDF to filter tuples t that are generated after a join.
> More specifially, I have a UDF foo(record), which computes a value for
> a given tuple.  I can do the filtering before the join. e.g.:
>
> select * from A, B where foo(A)<2 and A.a=B.b;

I suppose you mean where foo(A.a) < 2?
I've never seen SP's being applied to entire tables, especially inside a
where clause.

Next to that, the planner can't do much in this case (according to a
thread here from this week), so you're likely to be stuck with
sequential scans.

> But I want to apply foo() to the tuples generated by the join
> operation. How can I do that?

You should be able to use something like (rewrote your join as well):
select foo(some_column) from A left join b on (A.a=B.b) where A.a < 2;

If that's not what you mean to do, could you be a bit clearer as to what
you're trying to achieve?

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl