Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,

>> Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>> Attached is a patch which adds --quiet and --q option to initdb.
>> Why is this a good idea?
>
> I was playing with 8.2 RPM init script and thought that instead of
> directing the output to /dev/null, it would be better to use a command
> line option for that. Also, we are designing a new installer project and
> --quiet might help us.
>
> I would rise this idea in -hackers before providing a patch, but since
> this is my first patch, I thought it would be a good exercise for me.
>
> Regards,

Most *nix commands are quiet by default. Most windows commands are verbose and some of them
can be made to shut up using special '--quite' like options. Other can't even do that.

Personally, I think initdb (and most other commands as well) should be silent unless
something goes wrong or unless I explicitly tell it to be verbose. In other words, don't
repeat bad practices from Windows by introducing --quiet. Make it completely silent by
default instead and then introduce a --verbose.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Сообщение: Re: Cleaning up the INET/CIDR mess
Сообщение: Re: Cleaning up the INET/CIDR mess