Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: Does this look ethical to you?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>>You're kidding, right? Should we also mention in the PostgreSQL
>>installer that you should perhaps look at Oracle or DB2?

No I am not kidding, it's more akin to MS bundling a web browser and a
media player. That would be a more appropiate example.  MS does it to
destroy competitors. I understand that it is done with pgAdmin as a
convenience thing, but it has the side effect of hurting the 3rd party
market.  A couple of years ago there was no 3rd party admin tools for
Postgresql, pgAdmin was all that was available, but that has now changed
and that change should be looked at.

The fact of the matter is pgAdmin III is bundled in a manner that does
not let the user know there are alternatives available plain and simple.

Because of the way pgAdmin is bundled it is effectivly destroying the
third party admin market which should be a good thing for Postgresql not
viewed as a bad thing.

Look at Mysql, they never had a bundled admin tool until recently and it
  is the most popular psuedo open source
DB on the market.

People are always going to use pgAdmin because it is free, you will
never have a problem getting users, but it should not be at the expense
of the third party market.

I am just raising a valid concern, no need for flames.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design