Re: DBMirror.pl performance change

От Peter Wilson
Тема Re: DBMirror.pl performance change
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> Peter,
> It is much more convinient for you to make a test,
> (just change the last function in DBmirror.pl), than for me
> (grab whitebeam, compile for FreeBSD, etc...)
>
> Of course you would need to use the original .conf format
> than the one you are using now.
>
> It would be interesting to see some numbers.
>
> P.S.
>
> Please include my address explicitly, pgsql-general comes
> to me in digest mode.

I'll take a look into this when I get a chance. Right now the only replicated systems I have are for live commercial
clients- my development systems
aren't replicated, just backed-up periodically.

It is worth looking through the Perl version some more though. I'm pretty sure I worked around most of the
escaping/unescapingwhen I looked at the
'C' version. I'm pretty sure some of the same approach could be used to improve performance of the Perl version. The
mainthing I found was that the
data table is un-escaped when read from the table and then re-escaped before being sent to the slave database. In
practicethe data doesn't have to be
touched.

My own preference right now is to stick with the C version now I have it. Replication is just about simultaneous with
negligibleCPU usage. When I get
a chance, I'm intending decoupling the 'C' version from the whole of Whitebeam so it can be built by itself. At the
timeI needed a solution quickly
so making use of a few Whitebeam utility classes got me there.

Pete