Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
More cynically, what this means to me is that if I want
a closer relationship with Oracle I should announce
PostgreSQL support in my products.

I can imagine the conversation going like this:

Larry:   Oooh, Linux has lots of buzz, let's use that.
Scott:   Hey, Larry, I thought we were best buddies.
Larry:   Yeah, but OS's are commodity '70s technology         and free implementations are just about as good
asthe expensive ones - so we don't need you.
Scott:   Hmm aren't databases are commodity '70s         technology too?
Sun Eng: Yes, Scott; and PostgreSQL is just about         as good as the expensive ones.
Scott:   Hey Larry, guess what I found!!!
Larry:   Scott, we miss you, please come back.

But the good news is that even if their PostgreSQL
work was in part a message to Oracle that Sun has
competitive alternatives at least for some
applications - the good news is that PostgreSQL is
indeed such a competitive alternative.

Сообщение: Re: Case studies (was: [PERFORM] big databases &
Сообщение: Re: Case studies (was: [PERFORM] big databases &