Re: sql (Stored procedure) design question

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: sql (Stored procedure) design question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Assad Jarrahian wrote:
> what drove me to store it that way was more of a performance issue.
>
> So if I store a documentID and then have a seperate table names, to_field

Why a seperate table? From what you showed us you don't seem to need
that. Just use 3 columns for the seperate entries instead of 1 that
combines them. There's really no big deal to it. And you gain the
benefit of being able to put foreign key constraints on those columns.

Now you need to split a string, risking splitting it the wrong way (if
there happen to be comma's in names) and using some of that
computational power you seem to be so concerned about. It seems unlikely
you would gain any measurable performance this way, if at all.

I can't say I fully understand what you're trying to do, your example
and explanations were somewhat confusing.

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl