Re: regarding triggers

От John McCawley
Тема Re: regarding triggers
Дата
Re: regarding triggers  (Harry Jackson <harryjackson@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Foreign keys do not cascade deletions.  If table y references table x on
column a, the attempt to delete records in x with dependent records in y
will yield an error.  So the answer to that question is no, your trigger
won't get called because a) y doesn't get touched because that's not
what foreign keys do and b) an error is raised anyway

Regarding the usefulness of triggers...I tend to stay away from them.  I
like to keep my data in my database and my logic in my application.  I
try to relegate triggers to very simple things like timestamping
records.  i.e. things that I won't later wonder "What in the hell is
going on???"