Re: [GENERAL] Rounding Double Precision or Numeric

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Rounding Double Precision or Numeric
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Jun 1, 2017, at 9:26 AM, Louis Battuello <louis.battuello@etasseo.com> wrote:
>
> Is the round() function implemented differently for double precision than for numeric? Forgive me if this exists
somewherein the documentation, but I can't seem to find it.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-NUMERIC-DECIMAL

"When rounding values, the numeric type rounds ties away from zero, while (on most machines) the real and double
precisiontypes round ties to the nearest even number.".

> Why does the algorithm vary by data type?

Just guessing, but I'd assume because the NUMERIC type behaves as required by the SQL spec, while float and double are
vanillaIEEE754 arithmetic and will do whatever the underlying hardware is configured to do, usually round to nearest
even.

Cheers,
  Steve

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Slow query plan used
От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Rounding Double Precision or Numeric