Re: Can I create a trigger to add another record based on the inserted record in the same table?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Can I create a trigger to add another record based on the inserted record in the same table?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 18, 2012, at 8:37, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2012, at 20:59, Mohd Shaiza Ibrahim <mohdshaiza@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you guys please help me? My question sounds like this.
>>
>> When I insert a new record in a table, can I create a trigger to add
>> another record based on the inserted record in the same table?
>>
>> For example,
>>
>> INSERT INTO employee (emp_id, emp_name) VALUES (0001, 'Jack');
>>
>> The result:
>>
>> Select * from employee;
>>
>> emp_id | emp_name
>> 0001 | Jack
>> 0002 | Bob
>>
>> I've tried running the statement below but it doesn't work. Infinite
>> loop i'm guessing.
>>

> Infinite loop is correct. You need to fix your logic to solve that problem or consider a new design.  Maybe restrict
insertsto the table to a security definer function and put you dual insert logic into it.

It may not be infinite trigger but you do not show the CREATE TRIGGER statement you are using so it is impossible to
know. You mention same table but it appears you are trying to do audit logging which uses different tables.

You also do not say what you mean by "it doesn't work".

David J.

От: David Johnston
Сообщение: Re: Can I create a trigger to add another record based on the inserted record in the same table?
От: KOTa
Сообщение: Re: installation problem with postgres password