Re: Immodest Proposal: pg_catalog.pg_ddl

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Immodest Proposal: pg_catalog.pg_ddl
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:33:20PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> and I don't even see the argument for doing it via a table rather
>>> than via the postmaster log.
>
>> Simple.  Postmaster logs can roll over or otherwise be lost without
>> damaging the DB.  This would provide a non-volatile log of DDLs.
>
> In that case you have to provide a pretty strong argument why everyone
> should be forced to have a non-volatile log of DDLs.  Or will there be
> a way to turn it off?  What about applications that, say, create and
> delete tens of thousands of temp tables every day?

What about system-event-driven triggers as a mechanism for this? That
should make it simple for people to extend how they wish - e.g. - setup default preferences when new users are added -
setuptemp.y tables at session start - monitor ddl (as David wanted)

Now that we have sub-transactions, we could wrap the call to the trigger
function so that errors didn't abort the user setup/login etc.

There's been demand for this sort of thing fairly regularly - I'd
probably use it myself.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd