Re: Refactoring psql for backward-compatibility

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Refactoring psql for backward-compatibility
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

>I'd much appeciate tips, specific RTFMs and feedback on this so I can
>get cracking on a patch.

well, before you even start on a patch we should have agreement that
this is a good idea, and an agreed design.

This is really an m * n problem. That's what does indeed make it a
maintenance nightmare. A new version of psql implements a new command
and suddenly we have to provide compatibility versions (if possible) for
m server versions back. Repeat for n versions of psql.

One way might to have some loadable SPs that correspond to the slash
commands for a particular psql version, and have psql search for those
on startup, and use them in preference to its builtin versions. But it
would be mighty messy.

I am really not sure it's worth the effort. Just testing would be a pain
(buildfarm could not do it, as it now stands, at least).

cheers

andrew