Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

От Jeremy Schneider
Тема Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/7/22 1:51 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 1:24 PM Jeremy Schneider
> <schneider@ardentperf.com> wrote:
>> This idea does seem to persist. It's not as frequent as timezones, but
>> collation rules reflect local dialects and customs, and there are
>> changes quite regularly for a variety of reasons. A brief perusal of
>> CLDR changelogs and CLDR jiras can give some insight here:
>
>> Another misunderstanding that seems to persist is that this only relates
>> to exotic locales or that it's only the 2.28 version.
>
> I'm not defending the status quo, and I think that I'm better informed
> than most about the problems in this area. My point was that it hardly
> matters that we don't necessarily see outright corruption. This was
> based in part on a misunderstanding of Tom's point, though.

I think I was guilty of the same misunderstanding - apologies Tom!
Thanks Peter for calling that out explicitly.

For my for my part, gut feeling is that MacOS major releases will be
similar to any other OS major release, which may contain updates to
collation algorithms and locales. ISTM like the same thing PG is looking
for on other OS's to trigger the warning. But it might be good to get an
official reference on MacOS, if someone knows where to find one?  (I don't.)

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider