Re: Slow query with indexed ORDER BY and LIMIT when using OR'd conditions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Slow query with indexed ORDER BY and LIMIT when using OR'd conditions
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
johno <jan.suchal@gmail.com> writes:
> I am trying to optimize a simple query that returns first 100 rows that
> have been updated since a given timestamp (ordered by timestamp and id
> desc).  If there are several rows with the same timestamp I need to a
> second condition, that states that I want to return rows having the given
> timestamp and id > given id.

> The obvious query is

> SELECT * FROM register_uz_accounting_entities
> WHERE effective_on > '2014-07-11' OR (effective_on = '2014-07-11' AND
> id > 1459)
> ORDER BY effective_on, id
> LIMIT 100

A more readily optimizable query is

SELECT * FROM register_uz_accounting_entities
WHERE (effective_on, id) > ('2014-07-11'::date, 1459)
ORDER BY effective_on, id
LIMIT 100

This formulation allows the planner to match both the WHERE and ORDER BY
clauses directly to the two-column index.

> I've tried to optimize this query by pushing down the limit and order by's
> into explicit subselects.

As noted earlier, that's unlikely to be an improvement, because on its
face it specifies more computation.  Postgres is not terribly bright
about UNIONs, either.