Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

От Alan Stange
Тема Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Дата
Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (  ("Luke Lonergan" <llonergan@greenplum.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Another data point.

We had some down time on our system today to complete some maintenance
work.  It took the opportunity to rebuild the 700GB file system using
XFS instead of Reiser.

One iostat output for 30 seconds is

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice    %sys %iowait   %idle
           1.58    0.00   19.69   31.94   46.78

Device:            tps    kB_read/s    kB_wrtn/s    kB_read    kB_wrtn
sdd             343.73    175035.73       277.55    5251072       8326

while doing a select count(1) on the same large table as before.
Subsequent iostat output all showed that this data rate was being
maintained.  The system is otherwise mostly idle during this measurement.

The sequential read rate is 175MB/s.  The system is the same as earlier,
one cpu is idle and the second is ~40% busy doing the scan and ~60%
idle.   This is  postgresql 8.1rc1, 32KB block size.  No tuning except
for using a 1024KB read ahead.

The peak speed of the attached storage is 200MB/s (a 2Gb/s fiber channel
controller).  I see no reason why this configuration wouldn't generate
higher IO rates if a faster IO connection were available.

Can you explain again why you think there's an IO ceiling of 120MB/s
because I really don't understand?

-- Alan

Сообщение: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Сообщение: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (