Re: Numeric 508 datatype

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: Numeric 508 datatype
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Is anybody working or considering to work on pg_upgrade, or is all this
> hypothetical?  Our past history has seen lots of people offering to work
> on pg_upgrade, and none has produced a working version.  Is it fair or
> useful to impose restrictions on development just because it's remotely
> possible that somebody is going to be motivated enough to consider
> producing it?

Depends on the impact the restriction imposes. If
stability/scalability/functionality or so is affected, this sounds not
tolerable. If it's about not saving two bytes that have been spoiled for
ages before, or keeping a backward compatibility type, it appears
feasible to me.
Changing on-disk structures at the start of the 8.2 dev cycle is a
guarantee that nobody will implement pg_upgrade for 8.2.

Regards,
Andreas