Re: Enums again

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Enums again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>In the catalog, pg_type would
>>get a new column of type text[] that would hold the list of values, and
>>typtype would have a new possible value of 'e' for enumeration. There
>>might be other consequential changes too, but I think that would be most
>>of it.
>>

>Huh, why not have the actual values in a separate catalog like
>pg_enumvalues or some such?

Sure, could do that. I don't have strong feelings either way.

>>The only functions that actually need to have any knowledge of
>>the enumeration strings are the input/output functions and the to/from
>>text casts. These would get the relevant info from fcinfo.flinfo ... and
>>then looking up the type cache - not sure yet if an extra cache
>>operation is needed.
>>

>It'd be interesting to measure the difference of having the cache vs.
>not having it.

Possibly. I would expect it to make a noticeable difference.

>Thinking on how to pg_dump the whole thing is important too.

Yes, that would certainly be part of the work. I should have mentioned
that. It's not a showstopper, though - I see no reason in principal for
it to be a difficulty.

cheers

andrew