Re: how to tell if a pg version supports a linux distribution

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: how to tell if a pg version supports a linux distribution
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2024-06-05 at 16:24 -0400, bruno vieira da silva wrote:
> Hello, if a pg version has been tested on the buildfarm but the pg yum
> repository doesn't have packages for a linux distribution that means
> that distribution isn't supported by pg? how can I find if linux
> distributions for a pg version have regression tests executed against.
>
> e.g. : postgresql 16 doesn't have packages on yum for centos 7 but I
> can find tests on the buildfarm for it.
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/index.html

PostgreSQL supports all Linux distributions.  It doesn't particularly
care about the distribution as long as all the required software is
installed (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-requirements.html).

There are certainly other considerations.  For example, if your Linux
distribution uses musl as C library, which has dysfunctional collation
support, then collations won't work in PostgreSQL either, since it uses
that functionality by default.

If you want to avoid surprises, it might be good to use widely-used
distributions, but that doesn't mean that other distributions are not
supported.

Packaging is a completely different affair.  PostgreSQL provides
binary packages for the distributions that a packager cares about.
If Devrim decides that he doesn't want to build packages for v16
for a crummy old CentOS release, that's his choice.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe