Re: patch: ResultSetTest.java

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: patch: ResultSetTest.java
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Tom Lane wrote:
> Ken Geis <kgeis@speakeasy.net> writes:

>>aclitem is one of few types that does not have send and receive
>>functions defined.
>
> Oh, my mistake, I looked at the entry for _aclitem ... but you're right,
> the underlying type doesn't have 'em.

Hm, this would seem to be an obstacle to using binary output formats in
a general-purpose client..

The driver generally does not know the type of the columns returned by a
query ahead of time (without an extra round-trip, which has a
performance cost), so returning columns as binary is going to be
all-or-nothing.

If the act of selecting binary output for a column is going to cause an
ERROR on a query that would otherwise succeed.. that's pretty nasty :(

Any plans for the backend to require send/receive functions for all
types? Or perhaps something like using the input/output functions if
send/receive are not present?

-O

Сообщение: Re: patch: ResultSetTest.java
Сообщение: Re: patch: ResultSetTest.java