Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>In short: pg_timezone_initialize() took about 8.2 seconds out of the
>total time of 8.73 seconds.
>
>Since pg_timezone_initialize() needs to scan all of the 500-odd files
>under postgresql/share/timezone/, it isn't so surprising that it would
>take a little bit of time.  But 8 seconds seems like a lot.  The trace
>makes it look like localtime() performs stat("/etc/localtime") on each
>call, which is pretty ugly --- I wonder if there isn't some way around
>that?

Further data points:

I just observed this taking over 20 seconds on my clunky old pII 266.
That's really horrible. But  pg_ctl -w start was able to complete in
about 2 seconds.

Even on my much faster laptop the timezone lib startup took 3 or 4
seconds (and pg_ctl -w start came back in about 1 second).

cheers

andrew

Сообщение: Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep
Сообщение: Re: 8.04 and RedHat/CentOS init script issue and sleep