Two places to concentrate

От Chris Travers
Тема Two places to concentrate
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>>This is one reason why I would like to see some of us push PostgreSQL
>>into a role of *the* RDBMS to study for RDBMS theory.  Unfortunately
>>this means a lot of documentation written by experts interested in
>>really teaching beginners the right way to do things....  I don't
>>consider myself qualified to do this by myself.
>>

>I like this idea.  I wonder how to get it moving.

I think there are two aspects to this puzzle.  The first is to support
the companies that do training as Robert suggests.

But there is a second one too.  I think that we as a community would do
well to create documentation about RDBMS fundamentals using PostgreSQL
as the reference example.  Topics might include:

1)  Relational Theory
2)  Normalization
3)  Database Design (including Date's Central Rule)
4)  Performance considerations (implimentation and
non-implimentation-specific)

Any others?  Maybe SQL as a language?  However, part of what would be
required to make this work is that you would need to make the RDBMS as
standards-compliant as possible, and provide the option for standard
behavior even if people don't generally like one specific aspect of the
standard.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Вложения

От: Robert Bernier
Сообщение: Re: Speakers wanted for Quebec PHP Conference
От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase