Re: Segv in pg_autovacuum in 8.0.x

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Segv in pg_autovacuum in 8.0.x
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
daveg wrote:
> Apologies if this is old news, but pg_autovacuum in 8.0.x has the bad habit
> of SEGVing and exiting when a table gets dropped out from under it. This
> creates problems if you rely on pg_autovacuum for the bulk of your vacuuming
> as it forgets it's statistics when it is restarted and so will skip some
> desireable vacuums.
>
> I have a patch for this that should apply against any 8.0.x if there is any
> interest.

Please post the patch, it might get committed into 8.0.x.  I personally
haven't heard any other reports of it dieing when tables are dropped,
but I don't doubt there are some lingering issues like this.

> I looked at the new autovacuum in 8.1 and it appears from casual inspection
> not to have the same problem.

The autovacuum in 8.1 is a very different critter.  While its design is
based on the contrib autovacuum, it is mostly a total rewrite, and
probably a vast improvement :-)

Matt