Re: tsearch2/GIST performance factors?

От Craig A. James
Тема Re: tsearch2/GIST performance factors?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Oleg wrote:
> Did you consider *decreasing* SIGLENINT ? Size of index will diminish
> and performance could be increased. I use in current project SIGLENINT=15

The default value for SIGLENINT actually didn't work at all.  It was only by increasing it that I got any performance
atall.  An examination of the GIST indexes showed that most of the first level and many of the second level bitmaps
weresaturated.

> tsearch2's index is a lossy index, read
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/Tsearch_V2_internals
> so search results  should be rechecked !

Yes, thanks.  We do indeed recheck the actual results.  The tests I'm running are just on the raw index performance -
howlong does it take to "select ... where dockeys @@ to_tsquery(...)".

> We have our TODO http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/todo
> and hope to find sponsorhips for fts project for 8.2 release.
> Unfortunately, I didn't find spare time to package tsearchd for you,
> it should certainly help you.

At this point we may not have time to try tsearchd, and unfortunately we're not in a position to sponsor anything yet.

My original question is still bothering me.  Is it normal for a keyword that occurs in more than about 2% of the
documentsto cause such inconsistent performance?  Is there any single thing I might look at that would help improve
performance(like, do I need more memory?  More shared memory?  Different config parameters?)

Thanks,
Craig