Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 10/17/2005 10:16 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> What is bad about leaving pg_catalog all lower case and expect
>>> everyone to query the catalog quoted?
>>

>> The fact that it will break every nontrivial client currently in
>> existence.  Those quotes aren't there in the clients and we can't
>> suddenly mandate them to become there.  Also, that approach does not
>> work for built-in functions (MAX, etc)
>

> Ugh ... got me on the MAX part.

For built-in functions and aggregates, I see no option other than having
duplicate entries in the catalogs.  I.e. have an aggregate called "max"
and a duplicate aggregate called "MAX" (nobody has explained to me why
this is a bad idea aside from the single point of truth concerns).

The rest can be solved with clever uses of views :-)  Furthermore the
creation of these views should be easily automated.  I am willing to
write a tool to automate this.