Possible issue with win32 installer(8.1beta 3)...

От Tony Caduto
Тема Possible issue with win32 installer(8.1beta 3)...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,
I just installed the win32 8.1beta 3 installer on the same PC as my
client, and I selected not to install PGAdmin III for obvious reasons
and the installer seemed
to remove my existing libpq.dll, I went to start up Delphi, and got tons
of errors saying "could not load libpq.dll"  did a search for libpq.dll
and sure enough the
installer blew it away. I am pretty sure it did not have this behavior
before, but I could be wrong.

The installer needs to have a option to install the client libs
seperately if PGAdmin III is not selected for installation OR leave the
currently installed libs alone OR prompt the
user that it is going to replace them or remove them. (PG Admin III is
not the only admin program around you know)

I would normally just have a copy of libpq.dll in the same dir as my
exe, but with the latest XP service packs this does not work anymore,
not to mention
libpq.dll seems to have several dependencies that also must be in
system32 i.e. libpq.dll seems to have these dependencies hard coded to
system32, because if I remove the dependencies from system32 and put
them the same dir as my exe, I get libpq errors saying it can't find
libiconv-2.dll libintl-2.dll even though they are in the same dir.

Can't these two dependencies be staticly linked into libpq.dll to ease
deployment issues?  If libpq.dll was all self contained, I could rename
it to something just my app could use and then I would not have to worry
about the server setup blowing away libpq.dll. Who would care if it made
the dll bigger? you have to deploy all the files anyway. (I don't know
any thing about C, so I can't try myself)

Thanks,

--
Tony Caduto
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com