Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Matthew wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Although ... it's true that there seem to be very few apps relying on
>> case sensitivity per se, ie, expecting "Foo" and "foo" to be different.
>> The complaints that I can remember were about programs that expected
>> "FOO" and FOO (not quoted) to be the same.  So always-smash-to-lower-
>> case might indeed solve most of the real-world problem for the Oracle
>> camp as well.
>

> Is it worth having a GUC variable that enables / disable this?   I
> hate to add GUCs but this seems like a fairly significant change in
> expected behavior.  Not sure it's a good idea, but I thought I should
> ask the question anyway.

It is a good idea for a very simple reason.  When given a choice between
standards-compliance and backwards-compatibility with prior versions, it
is important to give the option to make this change.  The only other
option is to make it a initdb time decision.

Autocommit is a bad example.  A better option is the GUC variable that
allows you to go back to the way we used to do things and allow NULL =
NULL to return TRUE instead of NULL.  In both these cases, the
difference is a semantic change in what a given SQL statement means.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting