Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas  (Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 10/13/2005 2:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Chris Travers <chris@travelamericas.com> writes:
>> So basically, the problem is that any fix for case folding would touch a
>> fair bit of code and possibly cause other problems.  However, I haven't
>> seen anyone worry about performance issues in such a fix, just that it
>> might be a fair bit of work.
>
> More that it's likely to create serious forwards, backwards, and
> sideways compatibility problems :-(.  The work involved is mostly
> in figuring out how to deal with that.
>
> Since the end reward for all this work would be having to read CATALOGS
> WRITTEN IN ALL UPPER CASE, none of the key developers seem very
> interested ...

Just an idea ...

if the release that offers UPPER case folding as an option also makes
sure that all internal and tool references to system catalog objects are
properly quoted (as they IMHO should be anyway), then it would be
reduced to a third party tool/application problem accessing the system
catalog in a database that has this new config option selected.

Jan